Thursday, February 7, 2008

match day #4



We went into this match thinking we had a good shot at winning. Everyone showed up on time, and we all convened a few minutes before game time to discuss playing-formations and general concerns everyone had. We started off the match playing really defensively. Still feeling the burn from last weeks game, I had pulled back from my assigned midfield position, and played center-defense for the first 15-20 minutes. FORZA was pummeling us with their attack. Inter Bo De showed great alertness, sound communication on & off the field, and finally began to work as a team. All of this prevented FORZA from scoring.

About halfway through the match, their team became too comfortable playing in our half of the field, and although we had a few offensive drives up to that point, it was on a fast counter-attack where Inter Bo De caught FORZA off guard. On a long-pass from Vanessa, Marc ran the ball up the pitch along the right-side, and with a quick pass to me, I put it right through the 'keepers legs, and our team celebrated. Scoring that goal felt great, and it was because we had worked really hard to get to this point over the past four weeks.

But was this scoreline meant to be? FORZA continued to be persistent with their attack, and had answered back a few minutes later. Two goals that were scored had been on account of a moment of defensive confusion on our part. A very lucky third goal, trickled its way through the hands of our 'keeper, Mike.

Nearing the end of the match, we received a free-kick from well out of the nets reach. Marc took the kick and had directed it to my position where I was waiting to head it in. However, their 'keeper ran out to catch it with his gloves, and in doing so, fumbled it and the ball went in the net. Again, we celebrated but it was to be cut short when the other team claimed that a goal cannot be scored off an indirect free-kick. It was too bad that the league had to introduce this new rule. I can see why it was introduced, but under these circumstances, that rule should not apply. And so, the score at the end of the match stood at 3-1.

Despite the loss, we were all quite happy with our performance. The quote of the night belonged to Drew. Early on in the game, Justin was (accidentally or purposely) pushed over by another player. When the play ended, Drew called out the thug in question and said "hey man, we're not looking for a fight, okay!". The accused was dumbfounded and started to argue with him, but I applaud Drew's decision to say what was said. I think a DON'T FUCK WITH US attitude is slowly being adopted by our teammates. LOL!

Next week, we are due to play against Orange County, who have been near perfect this season, and have a lot of goals-for, and very few against. I suspect our entire team will be playing defense, because we don't wanna see a landslide scoreline!

p.s.
I forgot my camera this week. Sorry!
I'll leave you with a highlights video from the Holland-Croatia friendly from Wednesday. Fast-forward to 2:26. The entire Dutch team is in the net. Absolutely BANANAS!


p.p.s
Polska beat the Czech Republic 2-0! BORUC!

No comments: