Wednesday, January 23, 2008

match day #2



Yet again, I wrongly predicted the outcome of our second match. We lost by a score of 2-0. I went home that night kinda bummed out by it, too. The dome at Varsity Stadium was really cold, and the turf was wet. I remember being able to see my breath while playing. Not only were there football grid-iron lines painted on the field, but the boundaries were confusing, and there were obstacles placed all across the one side of the field.


The team, I thought, played really well, especially defensively, and we kept their goalkeeper really busy throughout the match. For some reason, Marc requested that match was played 7-on-7 instead of the usual 6-on-6 formation. I didn't really think too much of this change at first, but nearing the end of the match, when Eckler Xtreme began playing defensively, our pressing offense became really ineffective.


We conceded both goals off of corner kicks, which could have been easily prevented. I was actually really unimpressed by my own performance, as I felt that during a good portion of the match, I was pretty much useless as a forward. A midfield position might have changed our game drastically, but I realized this too late.

Nearing the end of the match, a defensive player from Eckler Xtreme and I were fighting for the ball in their end. The ball went out of bounds, and he claimed that I had kicked it out. I couldn't tell who it went off of, so I kept quiet and waited for another player to weigh in. Eventually, one of his teammates made the call that it went off of him, and I quickly took the freekick. He was pretty upset with this decision, and I guess he felt he needed to do something about this. On the very next play, I believe it was Marc who took a free-kick into the box where I was waiting trying to head it in. As I advanced forward when the ball was kicked, the same player decided to shove and elbow me in the back. The play stopped, and I yelled something to the degree of "what the fuck are you pushing me for?". Long story short, he started acting like a douche-bag and I pushed him out of my way. His whole team rushed the field and made a big scene. A few employees of the Varsity Stadium, along with a security guard walked on the field as this unnecessary show began to unfold. I had already been walking away, and the rest of my teammates remained perfectly calm; very much the opposite of Eckler Xtreme who were incensed that I dared stand up to one of their thug-players. The match ended two-minutes later, and both teams shook hands. Maybe I was wrong to push that dickhead, but as some of my teammates already know, I won't let other teams push us around.


Our next game is against FC Tuesday Wednesday which has won both of their matches. I think this will be a tough match, considering this team plays in league games two days of the week. Our goal for this game is to play in a very defensive formation, and maybe squeeze in a goal or two on a lucky break. Pizza night may be a long-ways away... :(


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo, fuck you. pizza night will be this week, seriously.

autorock85 said...

Last week was tough, but I'm looking forward to getting back out there tomorrow night.

Although 'FC-Tue/Wed' have won both of their matches, it should be noted that they have played each of those two at The Hangar. I think that field allows teams a greater opportunity for scoring. Things may be a little different at Varsity. Also, they have defeated the two teams that have defeated us; and, as we know, they were both beatable.

I'm not saying tomorrow won't be difficult, but once the opening whistle (or horn, or captains saying, "let's start") goes off, it's fair-game.

alex said...

you're right. but, i'd rather prepare for the worst and work from there, because if you take a gander at their roster, the team boasts names such as zoran, zlatko, and javed. i don't think this team should be overlooked. they could be croats, albanians, or even worse, serbs. eeeesh!

Anonymous said...

VAR EEZ MATCHDAI TREE?!!?!?